Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lucerne, Switzerland

When I first visited Lucerne 13 years ago, it was instantly one of my favorite European cities. With more exploration that I've been able to do since then, that opinion may have changed, but it's definitely a must-see when in Switzerland. From the moment you enter, you somehow just feel more at peace. Maybe it's the rich chocolate, the unbelievably white swans, the breath-taking landscape, or a combination of the three...but either way, Lucerne seems to be the center of a peaceful and joyous Swiss life.
Our welcome gifts from the Schweizerhof hotel! Fresh fruit, chocolates, water, and two homemade muffins. Muffins? Customer for life.
There aren't many things better than the smell and allure of a Swiss chocolate shop. I don't care if you love or hate chocolate, you become high the second you walk into one of these. My mom isn't a big chocolate fan and I think she raving about it more than I was! It's definitely a sight to see the blocks and blocks of chocolate. And the endless variety...you don't even know where to begin. White, milk, dark, nuts, fruits, spices, pink, green, brown! It's crazy. Crazy good. The place was called Morkur and I'd definitely like more.
They have bocks on display in the window to attract the passersby.
Can you tell I was excited? I probably have more pictures of chocolate than of the lake. :P But can you blame a girl?
On many of the buildings, there was beautiful artwork that seemed to tell a story from centuries back.

The famous bridge in Lucerne.
A view of the town from the bridge.
Cafes along the lake...
Fondue! Food is so so ridiculously expensive in Switzerland; I don't think we were able to find a meal for less than $40USD/person. I've never tried cheese fondue in my life so I figured what better place than in Switzerland? It was a white wine based fondue.
Bratwurst for me and veal for my mom. The potatoes are made in the best way--stripped very thin, then compacted and baked--I can't remember the name but I'll be sure to include it if I do. So moist and yummy!
A small church around the corner from our hotel.
More views from the bridge :)

During our one full day in Lucerne, we decided to take a fairy along the lake to explore some distant villages.
THE OLD SWISS HOUSE
My mom read about this place while researching restaurants. People RAVED about the ambience, the food, everything. When she told me the price of one of the meals (probably upwards of about $100) I thought it was ridiculous, but we didn't want to leave with regrets so we went for lunch after the tour of the lake. It absolutely did not disappoint. The food was amazing! So memorable that, despite the disgusting amount of butter we saw them use, I would return.
The interior was classy and quaint with each room holding a different color and them.
We ordered their famous Wiener Schnitzel, a traditionally-Austrian dish that's made of veal, breaded, and pan fried in ALMOST A STICK of butter. I died. I usually stay far far away from butter (and meat for that matter) but I was traveling, so my diet went of vacation as well. They cooked it table side so we could see everything they were doing. Every other table of people at the restaurant ordered the Schnitzel too so it's clearly a staple of The Old Swiss House, and Lucerne itself.
The veggies I ordered to attempt balancing out the fat and protein. :) Too bad it was all coated in butter. Literally.
The deliciously devilish end product. It also came with warm pasta that was actually a great complement to the dish.
As you can see, we hated our meal.
A great town with wonderful people, delicious food, beautiful landscapes, and a relaxing feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment