Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sea Side Escape

Italy is one of my absolute all-time favorite places to visit. Maybe it's because I've been there so many times and I feel some sort of comfort there, but everything about it seems to simultaneous calm and excite me. I've been to so many towns and cities and Italy, but one of the most memorable for me is undoubtedly Cinque Terre. Cinque Terre is actually 5 different small towns as it literally translates to Five Villages, but I'm bundling them all together as one fabulous destination.

Monterosso is the largest of the five towns and the only one with a true beach.

Food is Cinque Terre is UH-MAZING. Out of all the places we went to, including Bologna (the mecca of good Italian food), my mother and I unanimously agreed that food from Cinque Terre was the best. There pesto...umm...to die for. So creamy and flavorful. Yum!! I want to go back just thinking about it.

I would sit on the rocks of Vernazza (the town we stayed in) for hours a day just relaxing, reading, tanning, and watching the sun set.

Vernazza in the evening. :) Love the reflection on the water! Someone make me an oil painting.

One of the coolest things about Cinque Terre is that they have many hiking trails for people to walk along the coast from town to town. I hiked to see all five towns and this was the beginning of my first hike from Vernazza to Corniglia. My server would probably crash if I were to upload all the beautiful pictures I took hiking. I don't think it was possible to take a bad shot.



When I describe my favorite color to people, I just say Mediterranean Blue. I could stare at that all day!

On our way to a high high restaurant in Manarola.

Monterosso from afar. Beginning the hike from Monterosso to Vernazza.


The main tower of Vernazza looking out at the sea.

Sadly, there was a huge storm along the riviera a couple of months ago that destroyed a good portion of Cinque Terre. In particular, Vernazza, the place I stayed, was underwater with much of the town swept away. The storm left a few casualties and the town left in mud and devastation. It was difficult for me to look at photos of the beautiful town that seemed so vibrant just a few months ago. They're received donations and I think they're progressing with getting things back to normal. It's definitely a place I need to revisit.

No comments:

Post a Comment