Monday, October 3, 2011

Carrot Apple Muffins


In my attempts of being healthy and fit, I naturally cut out most sweets. But I have a ridiculous love of sweets, so my cravings come crawling back every so often. In particular, I was craving muffins for a few days and finally decided to give in yesterday. I love finding healthy dessert recipes that are still just as delicious minus the disgusting post-consumption feeling of guilt. These muffins only have 9 ingredients and were super easy to make. They could easily be vegan since they contained NO BUTTER OR MILK! Score in my book.

Ingredients: 
2 eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup Canola oil
2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup shredded carrots
2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine eggs, sugar, and oil in mixer bowl. Beat until well blended. Stir in apples, carrots, and dry ingredients. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until lightly brown. Makes 15 muffins.

I wanted to add some personal touches, so I also added 1 tsp. nutmeg and 1 tbsp. orange juice...just for some added moisture. I could have used apple juice but I didn't have any. They turned out really well and I just love they fact that they're like a healthy dessert! I ate 3 after I finished baking them. No shame. I also added dried cranberries to a couple. Yum.

I love to have my cake and eat it too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment