Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mushroom, Spinach, and Bell Pepper Pizza


Last night, I made a delicious mushroom, spinach, and bell pepper pizza for dinner. It was actually the second night we made pizza because it was soo good the night before. We just used store-bought pizza crust we had left over and whatever else we found in our fridge. The crust we used was a corn meal crust because I love the extra texture it gives the pizza. When I was watching the Food Network (love that channel) a few days ago, I saw someone make a pizza with marinara and pesto sauce. I LOVE pesto and we had some left over so I decided to swirl it in with the marinara. I couldn't taste too big of difference but I'm sure if I used more, I would have. Either way, it was delicious.


Ingredients:
1 corn meal pizza crust
3 button mushrooms, sliced very thin
1 cup of spinach
1 red bell pepper
1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
marinara sauce (as much as desired)
pesto sauce (optional)


I cut the bell pepper into four pieces, removed the seeds, seasoned it with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and put it in a 350° oven for about 25 minutes. I let them cool while I cut my mushrooms, grated my mozzarella, etc... 
After roasting them, it should be easy to take the skin off your bell peppers and slice them thinly. Then apply the toppings! Put the marinara sauce and pesto in the middle of the crust and swirl them to cover, then add the cheese, bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, and a little more mozzarella on top. I found it's better to put it on a rack with slits as opposed to a typical baking sheet to let some ventilation in the bottom. Maybe, that's just me. Cook it at 425° (or whatever your pizza crust instructions say) for about 16 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Yum!


Whenever you're roasting or cooking veggies, it's gonna look like a lot but they shrink down SO much during the process. I thought I had a ton of mushrooms on there but, it wasn't that much after 16 minutes. And make sure you cook the mushrooms ahead of time or slice them really thin to avoid their liquid all over your pizza. Hope you guys enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment